Applicants for Electrical Construction Apprenticeship who meet all other minimum requirements will be scheduled to take the NJATC Apprenticeship Test Battery.
The Aptitude test is administered monthly at our location and takes approximately two and a half hours to complete. It consists of two parts: Algebra and Reading Comprehension. A short break is given between the two parts of the test.
Applicants receiving a score of at least “4” (out of a possible “9”) will be advanced to the next step of the application process, a personal interview with the JATC Committee. Applicants who have documented at least 4000 hours of electrical construction work experience are not required to receive a minimum score for a personal interview, but will be required to take the test so Aptitude can be measured.
Aptitude Test Rules
· Bring a photo ID to the test. Your ID will be checked. No ID, no test-no exceptions!
· Arrive 5-10 minutes before the scheduled test time. Late entries will not be permitted. A late show is the same as a “No Show”. A $10.00 rescheduling fee will apply.
· Calculators of any kind may NOT be used during the test. Do not bring any type of calculator. Pencils and scrap paper are provided for computation.
· If you do not receive a qualifying score (4 or higher), you will not be eligible to retake the test (at any JATC in the country) for a period of six months. Do NOT attempt to retake the test before the six month period elapses. If you retest before the six month period elapses, your score will not be valid and another six months must elapse before the next retest.
* Cincinnati 212 JATC accepts WORKKEYS NCRC Certificate in lieu of taking our aptitude test. You must have a minimum score of a 4 on all three sections, Applied Mathmatics, Reading for Information and Locating Information.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. If I do not score well on the tests, can I take them again?
Yes, you may retake the test after a period of six (6) months has elapsed from your last test date. A $10.00 retest fee will apply.
Q. Are there any penalties for guessing on the test?
No, there are no penalties for guessing. Your score will be based on the number of questions you answer correctly.
Q. Should I study to do better on the test?
You should review the sample questions which will be provided to you when the test is scheduled. It is suggested that you “brush up” on your Algebra and Reading Comprehention skills before taking the test. There is no need to memorize formulas or factual material in order to do well on the test.
A good preparation tool would be the Khan Academy Links Below and confirming your knowledge encompassing the following subjects:
Whole Numbers, Fractions, Decimals, Integers, Rational Numbers, Exponents, Algebra Essentials, Equations, Formulas, and Inequalities, Ratios, Rates, and Proportions, The Cartesian Plane, Systems of Equations.
Q. If I do not complete the test, can I complete it another day?
No. If you do not complete all of the test, your score will be based on the questions you do complete. You will not be able to reschedule to take the test again for another six months and a $10.00 retest fee will apply.
Q. Will I receive a report of my score?
You will be informed whether or not you have received a qualifying score. Exact scores are not provided.